Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Week 99


Melanie here. Be sure to read this post and the previous one. I posted them both today because somehow the letter from last week was deleted from my email or something and I had to have Jason send it again. Here is this week's:

It's been another great week as a missionary! I usually get pretty tired of my companions after about 6 weeks... still goin' strong! my companion is awesome.
 
Wednesday marked the 23rd month as a missionary for me! That day we got a referral, which does not happen very often.  Oh side note... so I was talking to my companion, who served in Maryvale... south phoenix area, and apparently in parts of this mission, there are a lot of people to teach! I never knew, he said they would get 5-6 media referrals a day... which means that they get a text on their phone saying someone wants a book of mormon or something like that... he got more in the span of 2 days, than I have seen in my entire mission.  Sometimes I want to be bitter about it, but then I remember I have had a perfect mission, so I'm happy.  So anyway, we get one of these, for me, rare referrals and we go to the house.  House is out in the middle of nowhere on a dirt road, it looks like a scene from a horror movie as we are walking up to the house, I step on the porch, I look down and see a giant chain.  Oh no... Chains that size usually lead to very large dogs.  I quickly assess the situation and realize that the chain is plenty long enough to reach me.  I follow it and find that underneath the trailer the chain is indeed attached to a large dog.  I see my companion looking at some dog remains, and coming to the same conclusion as me... I point out the dog to him and we both stand in horror! I notice the wind is at my back, driving my scent right into the dog's face... he knows we are there.  The dog stands up and pokes his head out.  This isn't just a dog, its a huskie! But oh, what's that? the dog is BLIND! Doesn't stop him, he comes out, my companion books it... but not very far, and I am still on the porch... He's not making a move to eat me, so I knock on the door, which alerts him to my presence.  Turns out, he's a very nice dog! and a very poor guard dog.  The lady was nice said we could come back but that it was a bad time for her.  Story end=good.
 
Thursday we had my last ever Zone Conference! it was the greatest one I've ever been to.  Some of my favorite missionaries in the world were there, and it was so good to see them all and talk to them, I got a lot of pictures afterwards.  I remember at the very beginning of my mission thinking "Man, I hate these meetings, I dont' know ANYONE" and now I know almost everyone, except the ones who are now where I was saying "Sheesh, I know no one".  It was a wonderful day.
 
It was a good week.  I am not sure what this week has in store for me, but next week is going to be awesome I think! Talk to you next week.
 
Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment for Jason. Let him know what you think of his latest letter pictures, or how you're doing.