Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Week 67

It's been a good week.
We have two investigators we're really working a lot with, one is Isay and the other is Richard. Isay we meet with probably every day! He is crazy and awesome. He's changed so much since we have met him! He talks SO much! he finally came to church on sunday and he absolutely loved it! We helped him change a tire yesterday.
Thursday and Friday we helped some lady move... we were tracting and asked if we could help with anything, and she asked if we cld help move, so we gave her our number and about 3 weeks later (this week) she called and asked for our help! it was unexpected. She really appreciated it, the second day we helped, there was a crazy lady there who was trying to direct everything, she made the truck get packed real poorly, so I went in and helped out, and would try to diplomatically change things positions... "Well that's a great place... what about over here though?"
Saturday we had dinner with Isay, when we first got there, he opened his fridge and there was this big bottle of expensive wine in there, and he said "Oh wow, I had no idea that this was here, how awesome!" So we said "Yeah, you should probably just give that to us, we'll take care of it." and he said "Oh no way, I'm not mormon yet! I'm drinking this thing." So we argued with him a bit, trying to convince him of the importance of giving it up. He said he wasn't there yet, but would be one day. So he cooks us food, and it was a bit scary... the whole thing was on fire a few times, and it got real smokey in the house so we left for a bit. Well we ate dinner, and then watched the restoration movie, and he loved it! He said "That's what I want, I want to show the evidence of my faith!" and later on talked about wanting to give up everything for God... so I said "Soo... now that you want to show the evidence of your faith... are you ready to give us that bottle of wine?" he said "Absolutely!" it was awesome, so he gave it to us, Elder Geren said "I'm not allowed to touch it, I'm not 21 yet." Sometimes I feel so old! So I put it in my backpack, and we went to the church and we dumped it down the drain! it felt good, but man it smelled real bad! I can't imagine anyone ever thinking to put that inside their mouth... gross.
Monday was great! we had a small exchange... one of the District Leaders in our area... actually he's my district leader, asked me to come with him to an appointment, cause he was worried that the guy was super anti, so I lovingly obliged (I often enjoy these discussions with anti mormons...) so we went and he also brought a friend with him, we did it at the church. There was Jory and Mack. Jory was real smart, and said he had some kind of Diodemic, or diadetic or something memory... in other words he supposedly had a fantastic memory and could memorize 10 pages of scripture in a month. He did have a fairly good memory and knew a lot of scriptures, but was still dumb as a rock! The conversation was civil, but they were definitely anti, Jory started the conversation in a way to try and outline OUR ignorance, by using obscure historical references and saying things like "You know about him right?" "Well surely you know the story of..." He changed that tactic pretty quick though. Long story short, we left thinking they were stupid, they left wondering, and realizing we weren't as stupid as they thought. Sometimes I was a little too... Brazen, we'll say. I told him that I thought the Nicene creed was repulsive. It was a good time though, I haven't been able to have a conversation with someone who actually knew some scriptures in a long time! It was fun.
Well that's all for today, hope you have a great week.
Elder Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment for Jason. Let him know what you think of his latest letter pictures, or how you're doing.