Monday, October 25, 2010

Week 16

What a marvelous week this has been! One, the weather has been great! two my companions are awesome, and 3 we are all working super hard!
Sorry Emmy, that bike belongs to Paxton, she was not happy that we were going to take her bike!
Malo elelei (I don't know how to spell it either Chris) Fefe haki? My favorite thing to say to Elder Kavatoe is Samoa Fanua Mah'ohne'ohne which means that Samoa is the Land of Righteousness. It upsets him.
Christine, do you get my family letters? I can add you to that list since you are family, but I need your address.
So anyway... this week has been great! First an amusing story, so me and my Companions went contacting at a park a couple nights ago. We were having very little success, no one would even take a pamphlet from us! there were a lot of people there, but no one would talk to us, or accept even so much as a card. Then we found out that we were contacting at an after party... an after church party... an after Jehovah's Witness church party... We promptly left. We had a good laugh about it though, 3 mormons trying to convert 300 JW's good times...
We have been super busy this week, we don't even have time to do very much of what we need to get done! we have 4 wards giving us people to contact, we have 10 or more investigators we are teaching, and we have to find time to contact people to get more investigators. I love it! I love being over-booked. We go on splits a lot and get as much done as we can. On tuesday someone else committed to baptism! Wednesday someone committed to baptism, both on the first lesson, but both are practically already ready to be baptized. One we are passing off to the sisters, we were confused on which ward she would be going to, but it doesn't matter, what is important is that she is getting baptized.
Mid-week we were tracting this street, and this guy came up to Elder Kavatoe with a Pass along card in his hand, and threatened him saying that he better not ever find another card on his door! I chuckled... The guy doing the threatening was not a large man, didn't have much to back it up... not that Elder Kavatoe would ever do anything... but that guy could do nothing to him... A dog attacked him last week... a pretty vicious dog at that... he took a good swipe at the dog, but missed, but the message was sent and the dog backed off... This nice old lady next door said "Get out of there, that dog is a terrible vicious dog!" and then she threw a rock at the dog, it was funny! That same street we talked to another old lady, who called herself Mary Green with red hair and a big mouth! She was very funny, she talked with us for a while, we might go back and see her.
Elder Kavatoe got 2 flats on his bike at the same time... thankfully we also have a car. He looks so big on a bike its quite amusing.
There is a park that we've been doing a lot of contacting at, its really good! Saturday we found this guy sitting alone on a bench, so we went and talked to him, I told him about the Book of Mormon, and usually I say something to the effect of "Would it be okay if we stopped by at another time to share more about this?" which I did with him, then I added "or even right now, we'd love to teach you more now if you have time" and he said "Yes, please do, right now would be perfect!" We then had a wonderful first lesson as he sat on a park bench in the dark. We are meeting again with him next week in the chapel. It was a great experience, we hadn't been having much luck in the park, and it was much needed. That was the same night of the JW incident at another park.
I love this work, I love being able to work so much, as long as I'm working hard things go so well, I'm always so happy! I just love doing what I do.
Elder Martin

1 comment:

  1. Jason!! What good times you have been having!! I just love your stories. JW's huh?!! They are hard ones to crack--even to talk to. They don't seem to know about common courtesy--most especially the people they have going door to door...I know, I have met a few.
    Emmy is sad about the bike. Poor girl. She has been wanting a bike since summer--we just haven't had the extra money to get her one! Maybe Christmas or just a next summer gift.
    Oh, my e-mail address is: kanapaanahera@msn.com That will be nice to get those, then I can send more detailed letters instead of feeling like my comments here are too long.
    Tongans and Samoans are just great!! I love them. They are so nice, just don't get on their bad side. Still that is hard to do; they are just too easy to love!!
    Halloween!! Kaien wants to be a single die (you know dice singular) and Emmy is going to be a little indian girl. Ammon we are not sure of...maybe a pirate--we have things for that. I might be a nerd. I know, I know, I won't even have to dress up right?!! Har, har! I might also dress up 50's style... Not sure. Chris will probably be a mad Scientist. That will be fun. There is a trunk or treat for our ward along with a chili cook-off, music, dancing the works!! I am going to invite one of my non-LDS friends to go. I am so excited! About the invite and the party. And Chris has a work party for us to go to as well! Lots of things to do. Busy busy weekend.
    And still the work of the Lord goes forth! Hurrah for Israel! Hurrah for Israel! Hurrah for Israel! God speed Elder Martin!! He is at the Helm.
    Love you!
    Christine

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment for Jason. Let him know what you think of his latest letter pictures, or how you're doing.