Monday, April 23, 2012

Week 94

Dear People,
 
Had a wonderful week!
 
Have I ever mentioned a guy named Jim? Maybe not... well he's kinda crazy, but he's quite intelligent.  We've only spoken with him on his doorstep.  Last time we went he said "Call me, and we'll go to a restaurant and meet and talk and have coffee." My response "Well, how about we meet at the church?" "No, I would rather meet at a restaurant... don't worry though, I'll buy the coffee." we informed him that wouldn't work out so well... but maybe he'll buy us a 7up he said... still, I don't like it, you can't really feel the Spirit in a restaurant... But we'll maybe start there and move to the Church or something like that.  Good guy though.  He understands a lot about the Gospel, but he's quite off base on a few things... but that is okay cause he hasn't had the Holy Ghost to teach him, so its expected. 
 
I went on exchanges with the oldest missionary in the mission... and its not ME! Hurray.  My whole mission there have been a total of 3 Elders who have been older than me, and I have interestingly enough  been on exchanges with each one of them.  It's real nice to be with someone over 19 sometimes, not gonna lie.
 
We had a very... bold lesson with one of our investigators the other day.  It's an investigator who has been very dodgy, who is mostly likely trying to join for money type of thing.  But the gospel can change everyone.  He was finally upfront and honest with us, and it was awesome, he basically said "If I don't feel like going to church, I'm not going to go to church! and you can't make me." and then said "I know I'm getting money from the church, and when I dont' do my part, I look like a real bad guy, it makes me look like an idiot." my response "Correct." I shared a scriptures in 2 nephi, the principle of acting or being acted upon, and told him that his whole life he had been acted upon by outside forces, such as drugs, alchohol, and tobacco.  Told him that we can suggest he go to church, and do all the right things, but if he does it for us, or for anyone else, its not doing him any good, but that he needs to do it for himself and his family and for God.  Then Elder Fluckiger shared 2 Nephi 2:27 and told him he's choosing captivity, and that Satan wants him to be miserable.  He indicated that he feels miserable quite a bit, and we told him its his own dang fault.  He said to us "Everyone feels miserable! we all do." We explained the only time you feel miserable is when you are disobedient to God's commandments... we can feel other things, such as pain and sorrow while being obedient, but misery comes from our own mistakes.  It was a very bold lesson, it was fun, and he committed to come to church every week whether he felt like it or not.  He came to church on Sunday.
 
Well.. That is all I think for this week.
 
Peace Out.
 
Elder Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment for Jason. Let him know what you think of his latest letter pictures, or how you're doing.