Monday, March 26, 2012

Week 90

Dear World, (Or more appropriately, Dear the 2 people who read this),

So there we were, Elder Davenport and I, sitting in our truck in a very remote area making phone calls.  We chose this location due to the fact that no one would drive by wondering what the heck we were doing.  A grey sedan randomly pulls in and drops off two hispanic girls, probably around 15 or 16 years old.  The car then leaves and the girls sit down on the curb.  We were quite confused, we paused for a moment and watched through our mirrors.  They just sat there for 5-7 minutes, and the grey car comes back, the exact same one and picks the girls up, it starts pulling away and then stops, and doesn't move for 5 minutes! I was starting to get worried that we were about to get shot.  The girls again get out and the car leaves! What the? so the girls sit down again for about 2 minutes, and then they get up and walk up the street and go down another road, and as they are walking they both start walking and spinning in unison with their arms outstretched.  They walk to a small field and stay there for 5-10 minutes at which point the grey car picks them up again and they leave.  It was very odd.  We left shortly thereafter, not going to lie, we had finished our phone calls and just waited for a while to see what would happen.  As we left, we passed a "Guidance Clinic" which had some apartment attachments, I looked up at the windows of the apartments as I was turning and was quite frightened as their was a tall lady standing in the window staring at us! It gave me the chills.  Scary movies never scared me... but things like that freak me out.  It was an interesting experience.

It was a really good week! I went on exchanges a couple of times with some missionaries, and had a good time.  Oh, also I got new glasses, they're pretty awesome I think, and most importantly scratch free! My other ones were so scratched I had to tilt them to look at people sometimes.  It was frustrating.  We started teaching a new family... by family I mean a father and son, the father is a less active member returning to activity, and the son is a non-member who is going to be baptized.  We set a date for baptism that first meeting for April 14th. 

We were asked by a part member family this week to dig a trench for them.  I always love doing service because its something different, and its always good to work with your hands.  This I was unprepared for.  Arizona dirt is more like Cement.  At first we were given a hoe and a shovel, quite disappointing.  Later the husband came home and knew where some pick-axes were, so that helped considerably.  It went mostly okay, except when I would find a giant rock with the pick axe, which was quite often.  My hands still hurt.  We didn't finish the first day, so I went back with another Elder on exchanges and finished.  The second day was worse than the first! but it was kinda enjoyable.

Well, I think that's all for this week.  Hope you all have a wonderful week.

Elder Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment for Jason. Let him know what you think of his latest letter pictures, or how you're doing.