Monday, January 2, 2012

Week 78

So how's the weather? I definitely endured 117 degree days here so I could fully enjoy the winter! New Years Eve, December 31, 2011 it was 70 degrees! I love Arizona.  I'm not going to lie, I'm excited for the weather when I get home, I come home end of June, by that time here in Arizona it will be well into the 100's, possibly the 110's... and I will return to 90 degree weather? maybe it will be that hot? I'm going to have to wear a jacket! But seriously, 70 degrees in the middle of winter is pretty awesome.

Nothing too exciting happened this week.  On I think tuesday we went to visit a potential investigator, and this kid stopped us. "Hey what are you guys doing?" he was definitely challenged mentally, but was quite intelligent at the same time.  We told him what we were missionaries going to visit someone and talk to them about Jesus.  He said "What you guys should do is go around the neighborhood and knock on peoples doors and tell them to believe in Jesus.  I already believe in Him, because I'm catholic." He later tried to sell us some porcelain owls for $350.00!!! and then told us about how much he hates when people buy expensive cars, and how he always shouts at them that they are show offs.  It was definitely the funniest conversation I have had up here in Cottonwood, perhaps my whole mission.  I tried so hard not to laugh, I didn't want him to think I was laughing at him, he was the coolest kid ever.  He was riding a schwinn bike, and we commented on it a lot about how cool his schwinn was... when he was talking about the expensive cars people buy he made a list "Like corvettes, or mustangs, or convertibles, or trucks." and my companion said "Yeah, Schwinns are pretty nice too huh?" he said "Oh yeah, the Schwinn is a really nice multi-million dollar car." He talked to us for about 30 minutes, and told us all the horrible things about his neighbors "Don't talk to him, he hurts his dogs, and he's really mean to me, always giving me mean looks, he's going to go to hell, so he doesn't want to talk about Jesus." So we said "Oh well I think he needs it more than anyone right?" "Oh no, he's a bad man." What a memorable conversation.

Well, I can't believe its already 2012! what a great year to be alive.  I certainly hope everyone has a chance to read through the Book of Mormon at LEAST one time this year, what a magnificent book it is! I have decided to read the new priesthood/relief society manual for the year, about the Teachings of George Albert Smith.  I started it yesterday and am amazed at what a kind man he must have been, my desire is to become like him and be someone that just loves everyone they meet.  It tells of a story where he is informed that his buggy was broken into and someone stole his 'buggy robe' whatever that is... and he replied something to the effect of "What a shame we don't know who did it.  If we knew who it was, we could have given him a blanket, for surely he is cold, and we could have given him some food as well, for he must certainly be hungry." That story really struck me.  I hope that one day I can have that kind of love for everyone.  I believe that by reading this book throughout the year that I will become more Christlike. 

Love

Elder Martin

1 comment:

  1. Good story. We do need to adopt that type of attitude. What a good example. Yeah I am going to make it a goal to read that book as well. I probably won't be in on most of the lessons in EQ due to my YM calling. So i'll have to read on my own.

    I am very very excited to read the Book of Mormon.I am excited to feel it's power take hold of my life again. I haven't studied as well as I should. But I want to remedy that.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment for Jason. Let him know what you think of his latest letter pictures, or how you're doing.